Austrian GP 2026: Russell Says Hamilton and Ferrari Are a 'Huge Threat' as Title Fight Intensifies
By Alex Christian | MBCF_ June 26, 2026
Mercedes driver George Russell believes Lewis Hamilton and Ferrari have emerged as one of the biggest threats in the 2026 Formula 1 championship following Ferrari's breakthrough victory at the Spanish Grand Prix.
Hamilton claimed his first Formula 1 win since joining Ferrari in Barcelona, ending Mercedes' winning run and giving fresh momentum to Ferrari's title challenge ahead of this weekend's Austrian Grand Prix at the Red Bull Ring.
The victory also reduced Hamilton's deficit to championship leader Kimi Antonelli, keeping the seven-time world champion firmly in the fight as the season approaches its halfway point.
Speaking ahead of the Austrian Grand Prix, Russell praised Hamilton's recent performances and dismissed suggestions that age had affected his ability.
"People were writing him off last year or even the year we were team-mates in '24," Russell said, according to BBC Sport.
"You know, 'Is he too old? Is he this? Is he that?' And then he goes and he's been smashing it for the last four or five races. It just shows that you don't forget how to drive overnight. You need yourself, your team, the set-up, the understanding of the tyres, everything just to click. And when it clicks, you fly."
Russell also acknowledged Ferrari's recent improvement, saying the Italian team has become a genuine championship contender.
"Ferrari are a huge threat," Russell said. "Kimi is still very much the driver out front and is performing really incredibly and consistently. But Ferrari feel like they're coming and Lewis is at the forefront of that."
Hamilton, however, insisted he is concentrating on the next race rather than thinking too far ahead in the championship battle.
"I think the opportunity is there, but it's one thing being there, and then there's another thing... galvanising the troops and developing," Hamilton said, according to BBC Sport.
"It's going to take absolutely everyone, full hands on deck, for the rest of the year, to even come close to competing with them. But I don't think it's impossible. But I'm just really not thinking about that. I'm thinking about arriving. I want to win this weekend. That's my goal."
Hamilton also revealed he dealt with a painful neck injury following a testing crash in Barcelona last year.
"I hit the wall very hard last year in testing," Hamilton said. "Knocked out one of the discs in my neck. Protruding into the nerve. So couldn't do a lot for nine weeks. I was having chiropractors every day, physio every day, and I couldn't sleep. I had to get injections. I did everything I could to try to fix it."
The Austrian Grand Prix is expected to be one of the toughest races of the season physically after the FIA declared the event a heat-hazard weekend because of forecast high temperatures in Spielberg.
The Red Bull Ring's demanding layout, combined with the expected heat, is likely to test both drivers and teams, with tyre management and reliability expected to play a significant role throughout the weekend.
Practice begins on Friday before qualifying takes place on Saturday. The Austrian Grand Prix will be held on Sunday as Hamilton attempts to build on his Barcelona victory and continue Ferrari's growing championship challenge.
Comments
Post a Comment