Skip to main content

Austrian GP 2026: Russell Says Hamilton and Ferrari Are a 'Huge Threat' as Title Fight Intensifies

 Austrian GP 2026: Russell Says Hamilton and Ferrari Are a 'Huge Threat' as Title Fight Intensifies

By Alex Christian | MBCF_ June 26, 2026



Mercedes driver George Russell believes Lewis Hamilton and Ferrari have emerged as one of the biggest threats in the 2026 Formula 1 championship following Ferrari's breakthrough victory at the Spanish Grand Prix.

Hamilton claimed his first Formula 1 win since joining Ferrari in Barcelona, ending Mercedes' winning run and giving fresh momentum to Ferrari's title challenge ahead of this weekend's Austrian Grand Prix at the Red Bull Ring.

The victory also reduced Hamilton's deficit to championship leader Kimi Antonelli, keeping the seven-time world champion firmly in the fight as the season approaches its halfway point.

Speaking ahead of the Austrian Grand Prix, Russell praised Hamilton's recent performances and dismissed suggestions that age had affected his ability.

"People were writing him off last year or even the year we were team-mates in '24," Russell said, according to BBC Sport.

"You know, 'Is he too old? Is he this? Is he that?' And then he goes and he's been smashing it for the last four or five races. It just shows that you don't forget how to drive overnight. You need yourself, your team, the set-up, the understanding of the tyres, everything just to click. And when it clicks, you fly."

Russell also acknowledged Ferrari's recent improvement, saying the Italian team has become a genuine championship contender.

"Ferrari are a huge threat," Russell said. "Kimi is still very much the driver out front and is performing really incredibly and consistently. But Ferrari feel like they're coming and Lewis is at the forefront of that."

Hamilton, however, insisted he is concentrating on the next race rather than thinking too far ahead in the championship battle.

"I think the opportunity is there, but it's one thing being there, and then there's another thing... galvanising the troops and developing," Hamilton said, according to BBC Sport.

"It's going to take absolutely everyone, full hands on deck, for the rest of the year, to even come close to competing with them. But I don't think it's impossible. But I'm just really not thinking about that. I'm thinking about arriving. I want to win this weekend. That's my goal."

Hamilton also revealed he dealt with a painful neck injury following a testing crash in Barcelona last year.

"I hit the wall very hard last year in testing," Hamilton said. "Knocked out one of the discs in my neck. Protruding into the nerve. So couldn't do a lot for nine weeks. I was having chiropractors every day, physio every day, and I couldn't sleep. I had to get injections. I did everything I could to try to fix it."

The Austrian Grand Prix is expected to be one of the toughest races of the season physically after the FIA declared the event a heat-hazard weekend because of forecast high temperatures in Spielberg.

The Red Bull Ring's demanding layout, combined with the expected heat, is likely to test both drivers and teams, with tyre management and reliability expected to play a significant role throughout the weekend.

Practice begins on Friday before qualifying takes place on Saturday. The Austrian Grand Prix will be held on Sunday as Hamilton attempts to build on his Barcelona victory and continue Ferrari's growing championship challenge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rory McIlroy and 2 Other Players Withdraw from 2026 Travelers Championship | PGA Tour

Rory McIlroy and 2 Other Players Withdraw from 2026 Travelers Championship | PGA Tour By Alex Christian | MBCF News — June 29, 2026       The 2026 Travelers Championship is set to showcase one of the strongest fields on the PGA Tour this season, with 49 of the world's top 50 golfers confirmed to compete at TPC River Highlands in Connecticut. As the final Signature Event before the FedExCup Playoffs draw closer, fans can expect another highly competitive week featuring many of the game's biggest stars. However, despite the impressive lineup, three familiar names will not be making the trip. Rory McIlroy, Billy Horschel and Max Homa are all absent from this year's Travelers Championship, although each player's situation is very different. McIlroy has chosen to skip the tournament as part of his schedule management, while Horschel and Homa failed to qualify after difficult seasons that have affected their rankings and standing on the PGA Tour. McIlroy's decision ha...

Charlie Woods Eliminated in U.S. Junior Amateur Playoff, Misses Match Play

Charlie Woods Eliminated in U.S. Junior Amateur Playoff, Misses Match Play By Alex Christian|MBCF News _July 23, 2026 BETHLEHEM, Pa. — Charlie Woods' run at the 2026 U.S. Junior Amateur Championship ended Wednesday after the 17-year-old was eliminated in a playoff at Saucon Valley Country Club, falling just short of the tournament's 64-player match-play field. Woods made a bogey on the first playoff hole after finishing stroke-play qualifying tied for one of the final spots. He entered a 14-player playoff for the last two match-play berths, but Eli Wessel of Indianapolis and Hudson Kutchma of Westfield, Indiana claimed the qualifying positions. The son of Tiger Woods had earned his place in the championship by winning a qualifying playoff in Heathrow, Florida, and attracted large crowds throughout the week as fans followed his attempt to compete for the Tiger Woods Trophy. Two Pennsylvania golfers advanced to match play, with Chase Yenser qualifying as the No. 30 seed a...

FIA Admits Error in Piastri-Leclerc Incident and Announces Penalty Rule Change

  FIA Admits Error in Piastri-Leclerc Incident and Announces Penalty Rule Change By Alex Christian| MBCF News_July 25, 2026 The FIA has agreed to change how penalties are applied after admitting McLaren driver Oscar Piastri was unfairly treated during his clash with Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc at the Belgian Grand Prix. On his way to a fifth-place finish, Piastri was attacking Leclerc for a podium position at Les Combes when the pair made contact. Piastri sustained floor damage to his car. Leclerc was investigated but received no penalty. Following a meeting between drivers and FIA stewards, it was agreed that similar incidents in the future will be penalized. The new consensus is that squeezing a rival on corner entry will result in a five-second penalty. The FIA also agreed to show more leniency for incidents that occur immediately after safety car restarts. Quotes: Oscar Piastri, over team radio:   “He didn’t leave enough space. That could have been a massive crash,” ...