Skip to main content

Verstappen Hoping for Red Bull Response at Belgian Grand Prix After Frustrating Silverstone Weekend

Verstappen Hoping for Red Bull Response at Belgian Grand Prix After Frustrating Silverstone Weekend


By Alex Christian | MBCF News— July 15, 2026



SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS, Belgium — July 14, 2026


Max Verstappen heads into this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix looking for a turnaround after a frustrating British Grand Prix that left the four-time Formula 1 world champion openly frustrated with Red Bull's reliability and performance.


Verstappen retired from the British Grand Prix while running third after a rear-wing failure sent his RB22 into the gravel at Stowe with six laps remaining. The incident came just over a week after another high-speed setback in Austria, where Verstappen crashed during qualifying.


Following the Silverstone retirement, Verstappen admitted the repeated problems had left him exhausted.


"At the moment, I'm honestly just looking forward to going home and not thinking about Formula 1."


The Dutch driver also expressed concerns about the recent failures.


"I was lucky in Austria, I was lucky here, but that's why you get really fed up with it."


Red Bull later apologized to Verstappen for the rear-wing failure and said it would work to ensure the problem does not happen again.


The retirement capped another difficult weekend in which Verstappen had already voiced concerns about the RB22's balance, handling and straight-line speed around Silverstone. He also disagreed with the team's decision not to start him from the pit lane after qualifying seventh, believing the original setup would make the race difficult.


Despite finishing second in Austria one week earlier after a major aerodynamic upgrade to the RB22, Verstappen admitted after Silverstone that the podium he was fighting for before retiring would not have reflected the car's true pace.


"We got lucky," Verstappen said, adding that even a podium "would have been a podium that we didn't deserve on pace."


Red Bull team principal Laurent Mekies acknowledged Verstappen's frustrations and said the team's biggest challenge remains the RB22's balance.


"Max is unhappy with the car balance. That's a fact," Mekies said.


"He feels that the underlying performance of the car could bring much better results if we manage to solve the balance limitations we are having."


The team has spent the break between races analyzing data from its Austrian upgrade package in hopes of improving performance before Formula 1 returns at Spa-Francorchamps, one of the fastest and most demanding circuits on the calendar.


However, Mekies admitted Spa's long straights and heavy energy demands could again expose one of Red Bull's biggest weaknesses.


"On tracks where energy limitations are strong, we seem to be struggling more compared to the competition," Mekies said.


"There may be hardware limitations, but I equally know that the team is extraordinary at learning fast."


Verstappen arrives at Spa with strong memories of the circuit, having won the Belgian Grand Prix three consecutive times from 2021 to 2023, including a remarkable victory from 14th on the grid in 2022. The Belgian-born driver also won last year's Sprint race at the venue.


Away from the track, speculation over Verstappen's long-term future continues after another week of reports linking him with a move away from Red Bull.


Although his Red Bull contract runs until the end of 2028, it contains performance break clauses. The results at Silverstone confirmed Verstappen cannot finish in the top two of the Drivers' Championship after the Hungarian Grand Prix, the final race before Formula 1's summer break. Under those clauses, he would then be eligible to activate an exit option should he choose to do so.


Recent reports linked Verstappen with McLaren, although McLaren chief executive Zak Brown said discussions "didn't go anywhere" and insisted both Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri remain under contract.


Speaking on The F1 Show, 2009 Formula 1 world champion Jenson Button said Verstappen appears to be evaluating his options.


"I think that Max at Red Bull sounds really frustrated at the moment," Button said.


"He puts a happy face on a lot of the time, but I think he's very frustrated with the situation."


Button added that many of the people Verstappen won championships alongside have now left the team.


"It must be very strange, it must feel kind of a bit lonely in that team for him. Everyone's brand new around him, so I think he'll be looking elsewhere, I really do, for next year."


For now, Verstappen's immediate focus remains helping Red Bull make progress with the RB22 as Formula 1 heads into the final two races before the summer break.


The Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps takes place this weekend, with Verstappen hoping Red Bull can build on its recent upgrades and return to fighting at the front.


Analysis: Why the Belgian Grand Prix Could Be a Defining Weekend for Max Verstappen and Red Bull


Editor's Note: The following is editorial analysis based on recent race results, public comments and team performance. It is separate from the factual news report above.


When Formula 1 arrives at Spa-Francorchamps, every race carries importance. This year, however, the Belgian Grand Prix feels especially significant for Max Verstappen and Red Bull. After a frustrating British Grand Prix and weeks of growing speculation about Verstappen's future, the team has an opportunity to shift the conversation back to what matters most—its performance on the track.


For many fans, the biggest question is straightforward: Can Red Bull still give Verstappen a car capable of consistently fighting at the front?


That question has become more important because Verstappen has been unusually open about his frustrations. Following the British Grand Prix, he spoke honestly about the team's recent setbacks, including the rear-wing failure that ended his race and the ongoing balance issues affecting the RB22. Rather than blaming bad luck alone, Verstappen acknowledged that the car has not consistently delivered the performance needed to challenge the leading teams.


His honesty is one reason he remains one of Formula 1's most respected drivers. Fans appreciate hearing exactly what a driver thinks, even when the message is uncomfortable. Instead of hiding behind diplomatic answers, Verstappen has repeatedly explained where he believes Red Bull must improve.


That makes Spa an intriguing test.


The Belgian circuit is one of the most demanding tracks on the Formula 1 calendar. Drivers need confidence through high-speed corners, while teams must also produce an efficient aerodynamic package capable of handling long straights and rapid changes in elevation. Any weakness in balance, energy deployment or overall efficiency can quickly become obvious over a race weekend.


Red Bull has already admitted that Spa may expose some of the same weaknesses it experienced at Silverstone. On paper, that does not sound encouraging.


Yet Formula 1 is rarely decided on paper.


Spa has often brought out some of Verstappen's strongest performances. He understands the circuit exceptionally well and has produced memorable victories there, including one of the sport's most impressive recovery drives from 14th on the grid in 2022. While every season presents different challenges, past success at Spa shows how comfortable Verstappen is around one of Formula 1's most iconic venues.


That history gives Red Bull supporters reason to believe Verstappen can still deliver a competitive weekend if the RB22 performs more consistently than it did at Silverstone.


Another encouraging sign for the team is the additional preparation time since the British Grand Prix.


Unlike a traditional back-to-back race weekend, Red Bull's engineers have had extra days to analyse data from both Austria and Silverstone. That may sound like a small advantage, but in modern Formula 1 it can make a meaningful difference. Teams frequently unlock better performance not by introducing completely new parts, but by improving how existing upgrades are understood and set up.


Austria offered a glimpse of that potential.


Before his qualifying accident, Verstappen believed he could challenge near the front, and his second-place finish suggested Red Bull's latest aerodynamic package had taken a step in the right direction. Silverstone then became difficult to judge because reliability issues overshadowed the car's overall pace.


Spa now becomes the first real opportunity to discover whether Austria represented genuine progress or whether Silverstone better reflected Red Bull's current level.


Beyond the technical discussion, Verstappen's future continues to dominate headlines.


Reports linking him with other teams have become increasingly common, while discussions about performance clauses in his Red Bull contract have only added to the speculation. Naturally, fans want answers.


At the moment, though, very few people outside Verstappen's inner circle know exactly what he intends to do.


His contract remains in place, and there has been no public confirmation that he plans to leave Red Bull. Until Verstappen himself makes a decision, much of the conversation will remain exactly that—speculation.


For Red Bull, the simplest way to reduce those questions is by improving results.


Strong performances often change the conversation quickly in Formula 1. When a team produces a competitive car, attention naturally shifts away from transfer rumours and back toward racing. That is why the next two weekends—Belgium and Hungary—could be important not only for the championship but also for the atmosphere surrounding the team.


There is also another factor that should not be overlooked: Verstappen's mindset.


Throughout his career, he has shown an ability to recover from disappointing weekends with determined performances. Drivers at the highest level often respond best when challenged, and Verstappen has built a reputation for learning quickly from setbacks rather than allowing them to define a season.


That resilience may become one of Red Bull's biggest strengths as it works to close the gap to its rivals.


Spa also carries personal significance for Verstappen. Born in Belgium to Belgian mother Sophie Kumpen, he has always received enormous support from fans at Spa-Francorchamps. Every year, thousands of supporters dressed in orange create one of the most recognisable atmospheres in Formula 1, turning the circuit into something that feels almost like a second home race.


While crowd support cannot solve technical problems, it often provides an emotional lift that drivers remember long after the weekend ends.


Ultimately, this Belgian Grand Prix is unlikely to answer every question surrounding Verstappen or Red Bull. One race cannot completely define a season, and it certainly cannot settle every rumour about the future.


What it can do is provide another important measure of the team's progress.


If Red Bull shows improved reliability, stronger race pace and a better-balanced car, confidence inside the team could begin to grow again. If the same problems continue, the discussion surrounding Verstappen's future will almost certainly become even louder as Formula 1 heads into its summer break.


Ultimately, the Belgian Grand Prix will not decide Max Verstappen's future, but it could influence the conversation heading into Formula 1's summer break. A competitive weekend would provide encouragement that Red Bull's recent upgrades are moving the team in the right direction, while another difficult outing would raise fresh questions about the RB22's development. Either way, Spa promises to be one of the most closely watched races of the season, with fans eager to see how Verstappen responds after the disappointment of Silverstone.


Source: Reporting based on Sky Sports (July 14, 2026).

`

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rory McIlroy and 2 Other Players Withdraw from 2026 Travelers Championship | PGA Tour

Rory McIlroy and 2 Other Players Withdraw from 2026 Travelers Championship | PGA Tour By Alex Christian | MBCF News — June 29, 2026       The 2026 Travelers Championship is set to showcase one of the strongest fields on the PGA Tour this season, with 49 of the world's top 50 golfers confirmed to compete at TPC River Highlands in Connecticut. As the final Signature Event before the FedExCup Playoffs draw closer, fans can expect another highly competitive week featuring many of the game's biggest stars. However, despite the impressive lineup, three familiar names will not be making the trip. Rory McIlroy, Billy Horschel and Max Homa are all absent from this year's Travelers Championship, although each player's situation is very different. McIlroy has chosen to skip the tournament as part of his schedule management, while Horschel and Homa failed to qualify after difficult seasons that have affected their rankings and standing on the PGA Tour. McIlroy's decision ha...

Charlie Woods Eliminated in U.S. Junior Amateur Playoff, Misses Match Play

Charlie Woods Eliminated in U.S. Junior Amateur Playoff, Misses Match Play By Alex Christian|MBCF News _July 23, 2026 BETHLEHEM, Pa. — Charlie Woods' run at the 2026 U.S. Junior Amateur Championship ended Wednesday after the 17-year-old was eliminated in a playoff at Saucon Valley Country Club, falling just short of the tournament's 64-player match-play field. Woods made a bogey on the first playoff hole after finishing stroke-play qualifying tied for one of the final spots. He entered a 14-player playoff for the last two match-play berths, but Eli Wessel of Indianapolis and Hudson Kutchma of Westfield, Indiana claimed the qualifying positions. The son of Tiger Woods had earned his place in the championship by winning a qualifying playoff in Heathrow, Florida, and attracted large crowds throughout the week as fans followed his attempt to compete for the Tiger Woods Trophy. Two Pennsylvania golfers advanced to match play, with Chase Yenser qualifying as the No. 30 seed a...

FIA Admits Error in Piastri-Leclerc Incident and Announces Penalty Rule Change

  FIA Admits Error in Piastri-Leclerc Incident and Announces Penalty Rule Change By Alex Christian| MBCF News_July 25, 2026 The FIA has agreed to change how penalties are applied after admitting McLaren driver Oscar Piastri was unfairly treated during his clash with Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc at the Belgian Grand Prix. On his way to a fifth-place finish, Piastri was attacking Leclerc for a podium position at Les Combes when the pair made contact. Piastri sustained floor damage to his car. Leclerc was investigated but received no penalty. Following a meeting between drivers and FIA stewards, it was agreed that similar incidents in the future will be penalized. The new consensus is that squeezing a rival on corner entry will result in a five-second penalty. The FIA also agreed to show more leniency for incidents that occur immediately after safety car restarts. Quotes: Oscar Piastri, over team radio:   “He didn’t leave enough space. That could have been a massive crash,” ...