Skip to main content

F1 REPORT: Lewis Hamilton Criticises Ferrari Strategy After Hungarian GP

 F1 REPORT: Lewis Hamilton Criticises Ferrari Strategy After Hungarian GP



Originally reported: July 26, 2026

This is a retrospective report based on events at the 2026 Hungarian Grand Prix and is not breaking news.


Lewis Hamilton expressed frustration with Ferrari’s race strategy after finishing fifth at the 2026 Hungarian Grand Prix, saying the decision to make a late pit stop cost him valuable points in his Formula One championship battle with Mercedes driver Kimi Antonelli.


Hamilton crossed the finish line fourth at the Hungaroring but was classified fifth after receiving a five-second penalty for speeding in the pit lane.


McLaren’s Lando Norris won the race, with Max Verstappen finishing second and Antonelli taking third. Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc finished fourth, ahead of Hamilton.


Hamilton had been running strongly before Ferrari called him into the pits under the Virtual Safety Car. The decision gave him fresh tyres but dropped him behind Verstappen and Antonelli, leaving him unable to recover the lost positions.


Speaking after the race, Hamilton criticised the timing of the decision.


“It was pretty bad. Pretty frustrating,” Hamilton said, according to The Guardian.


He added that he did not believe Ferrari should have made the stop and explained that the call came shortly before the pit-lane entry.


“I definitely don’t think we should have taken the stop but the call came literally just before the pit-lane entry and I didn’t have time to debate,” Hamilton said.


Hamilton believed he could have achieved a stronger result had he remained on track.


“I would never have stopped if it meant I was giving up track position,” he said. “I may have been able to hold on to P2.”


The result increased Hamilton’s championship deficit to Antonelli. According to the original July 26 report, Hamilton entered the summer break 50 points behind the Mercedes driver.


The Ferrari driver also arrived at the break following a difficult run of penalties. The report noted previous penalties at Silverstone and Spa, as well as a three-place grid drop in Hungary for impeding during qualifying and the pit-lane speeding penalty during the race.


Hamilton said the summer shutdown provided an opportunity to reset before the second half of the campaign.


“I’ll work hard to try and come back, reset,” Hamilton said. “There’s still a lot of places to take.”


Despite the frustrations, Hamilton remained positive about Ferrari’s potential for the remainder of the season.


“We’ve got a bit more to come in the second half and we keep on pushing,” he said.


Norris Ends Winless Run


While Hamilton endured a frustrating afternoon, Norris celebrated his first victory of the 2026 season.


The McLaren driver described the performance as one of the strongest of his career, particularly in terms of extracting maximum performance from the car.


“Today I would probably say it was up there with one of my best performances,” Norris said.


Norris also praised McLaren’s upgraded car, which he felt had delivered a significant improvement at the Hungaroring.


The victory marked an important moment for Norris and McLaren after a difficult opening portion of the season. Norris said he believed he was driving at an even higher level than during his championship-winning campaign the previous year.


“I feel I’m doing a better job this year than I was last year,” Norris said.


The Hungarian Grand Prix therefore ended with contrasting fortunes for the two British drivers. Norris secured a major victory and renewed momentum, while Hamilton left Hungary frustrated by Ferrari’s strategy and another penalty.


Source: The Guardian, report by Giles Richards, published July 26, 2026.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rory McIlroy and 2 Other Players Withdraw from 2026 Travelers Championship | PGA Tour

Rory McIlroy and 2 Other Players Withdraw from 2026 Travelers Championship | PGA Tour By Alex Christian | MBCF News — June 29, 2026       The 2026 Travelers Championship is set to showcase one of the strongest fields on the PGA Tour this season, with 49 of the world's top 50 golfers confirmed to compete at TPC River Highlands in Connecticut. As the final Signature Event before the FedExCup Playoffs draw closer, fans can expect another highly competitive week featuring many of the game's biggest stars. However, despite the impressive lineup, three familiar names will not be making the trip. Rory McIlroy, Billy Horschel and Max Homa are all absent from this year's Travelers Championship, although each player's situation is very different. McIlroy has chosen to skip the tournament as part of his schedule management, while Horschel and Homa failed to qualify after difficult seasons that have affected their rankings and standing on the PGA Tour. McIlroy's decision ha...

Charlie Woods Eliminated in U.S. Junior Amateur Playoff, Misses Match Play

Charlie Woods Eliminated in U.S. Junior Amateur Playoff, Misses Match Play By Alex Christian|MBCF News _July 23, 2026 BETHLEHEM, Pa. — Charlie Woods' run at the 2026 U.S. Junior Amateur Championship ended Wednesday after the 17-year-old was eliminated in a playoff at Saucon Valley Country Club, falling just short of the tournament's 64-player match-play field. Woods made a bogey on the first playoff hole after finishing stroke-play qualifying tied for one of the final spots. He entered a 14-player playoff for the last two match-play berths, but Eli Wessel of Indianapolis and Hudson Kutchma of Westfield, Indiana claimed the qualifying positions. The son of Tiger Woods had earned his place in the championship by winning a qualifying playoff in Heathrow, Florida, and attracted large crowds throughout the week as fans followed his attempt to compete for the Tiger Woods Trophy. Two Pennsylvania golfers advanced to match play, with Chase Yenser qualifying as the No. 30 seed a...

FIA Admits Error in Piastri-Leclerc Incident and Announces Penalty Rule Change

  FIA Admits Error in Piastri-Leclerc Incident and Announces Penalty Rule Change By Alex Christian| MBCF News_July 25, 2026 The FIA has agreed to change how penalties are applied after admitting McLaren driver Oscar Piastri was unfairly treated during his clash with Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc at the Belgian Grand Prix. On his way to a fifth-place finish, Piastri was attacking Leclerc for a podium position at Les Combes when the pair made contact. Piastri sustained floor damage to his car. Leclerc was investigated but received no penalty. Following a meeting between drivers and FIA stewards, it was agreed that similar incidents in the future will be penalized. The new consensus is that squeezing a rival on corner entry will result in a five-second penalty. The FIA also agreed to show more leniency for incidents that occur immediately after safety car restarts. Quotes: Oscar Piastri, over team radio:   “He didn’t leave enough space. That could have been a massive crash,” ...