F1 Season Could End in Europe if Middle East Conflict Continues
Formula 1 could finish its 2026 season in Europe if the ongoing conflict in the Middle East prevents the championship from visiting Qatar and Abu Dhabi, F1 president Stefano Domenicali has confirmed.
Domenicali said the races in Qatar and Abu Dhabi remain on the calendar for now, but Formula 1 will make a final decision by the middle of September if the security situation has not improved.
“For us today, the races in Qatar and Abu Dhabi are confirmed,” Domenicali said during a call with F1 media. “By the way, they are already sold out. That is an incredible sign of how much the sport is bigger than the problem that our world is living.”
However, Domenicali stressed that safety would ultimately determine whether the final races of the season can take place.
“But of course, if the situation will not be cleared the way that we believe it should be, before the middle of September we will take the decision,” he said. “If this will not be possible, the end of the season will be in Europe, because we cannot go in other places.”
Domenicali did not officially identify a replacement venue, but Imola in Italy is considered the leading possibility if Qatar and Abu Dhabi are removed from the schedule.
Formula 1 has already been forced to make changes to its 2026 calendar because of the conflict. The Bahrain and Saudi Arabian Grands Prix, originally scheduled for April, were canceled.
Malaysia is now set to host a race in September in place of Bahrain. That change gives the championship the 21 Grands Prix required under its commercial agreements, but Domenicali indicated that F1 still wants to stage another race after the Las Vegas Grand Prix on Nov. 21.
A second race in Las Vegas was considered, but Domenicali said the idea was rejected because F1 does not want to weaken the event’s growing importance.
“There was a possibility of having two races in Las Vegas, but we don’t want to ruin, let me put it this way, a jewel that is growing by undervaluing what we are doing there,” Domenicali said.
He also pointed to the challenge of competing for American sports audiences during the period, particularly with the NFL season underway.
“We need to avoid any kind of situation that would put us in front of something that, of course, is still quite big in the US,” he added.
The Middle East situation could also affect the 2027 calendar. Bahrain is scheduled to return as the season-opening race next year after Australia hosted the opening two seasons, with the change linked to the timing of Ramadan.
Domenicali said Formula 1 already has contingency plans if the conflict continues.
“So far, the calendar that will be presented, let’s say in autumn, will be as a sort of a normal plan,” he said. “But in case the situation in the Middle East will be not solved, we have options, different plan.”
He added that F1 intends to maintain a schedule covering 24 countries.
Debate Over New F1 Engines
Domenicali also addressed criticism surrounding Formula 1’s new engine regulations, which introduced a roughly 50-50 split between internal-combustion and electrical power.
Some drivers have criticized the increased need to manage energy recovery, arguing that it can reduce the ability to attack high-speed corners. Two-time world champion Fernando Alonso has described some corners as “charging stations” because of the need to recharge the batteries.
Domenicali, however, said the wider reaction from fans has been positive.
“There is a lot of action on the track. People are loving it,” he said. “Therefore, the effect on the track has been widely super positive about the fans.”
He acknowledged that planned changes to reduce the impact of energy recovery over the next two seasons were positive for the sport.
Domenicali also said he had encouraged drivers to be constructive when discussing the new regulations, following outspoken criticism from drivers including Max Verstappen and Lando Norris.
“We are not here to put tape on the mouth of anyone,” Domenicali said. “The beauty of motorsport is that everyone can have an opinion.”
Future Engine Rules Taking Shape
The new engine regulations have also intensified discussions about Formula 1’s next generation of power units, expected for 2030 or 2031.
FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem has pushed for a return to naturally aspirated V8 engines. Domenicali said Formula 1 expects to have an outline for the next engine regulations by the end of 2026.
“The main target of the future regulation is to keep things as simple as possible, to bring F1 to a lighter class [of car weight], with a sustainable fuel, with, of course, electrification, and around this give the chance to the drivers, above all, in a certain mode, to push as hard as they can,” Domenicali said.
Most engine manufacturers are reportedly open to a V8 concept, although Mercedes and Audi want turbochargers to remain part of the formula. Discussions are also expected to preserve a significant electrical component to maintain relevance to road-car technology.
For now, however, the immediate priority is the 2026 calendar. If conditions in the Middle East do not improve by September, Formula 1 could be forced to replace its planned finale in Qatar and Abu Dhabi with a European ending.
Analysis: Why a European Finale Would Be a Major Test for Formula 1
Formula 1’s warning that the 2026 season could finish in Europe rather than the Middle East is about far more than changing the location of two races. It is another indication of how deeply geopolitics can affect the modern championship, from the calendar and logistics to commercial agreements and the sport’s long-term relationship with host countries.
F1 president Stefano Domenicali has made clear that the Qatar and Abu Dhabi Grands Prix remain scheduled for now, but the situation will be reassessed by the middle of September. If conditions in the Middle East do not improve sufficiently, the championship will move its conclusion to Europe. (Reuters)
That is a significant development because Formula 1 has already experienced disruption this season. Bahrain and Saudi Arabia, originally scheduled for April, were canceled because of the regional conflict. Malaysia has subsequently been added to the calendar as a replacement for Bahrain. (Sky Sports)
The possibility of losing Qatar and Abu Dhabi therefore represents a second major adjustment to a calendar that was designed to contain a carefully constructed sequence of races across several continents.
Safety Has Become the Dominant Consideration
The most important point in Domenicali’s comments is that Formula 1 is no longer treating the Middle Eastern races simply as scheduling problems.
Safety is now the determining factor.
The sport has significant commercial interests in the region. Qatar and Abu Dhabi are both major events, and Domenicali noted that both races are already sold out. Yet even that level of commercial demand cannot outweigh the security concerns surrounding international travel and the movement of hundreds of personnel, vehicles and tons of equipment.
That is particularly important for Formula 1 because its operation is much larger than the two-hour race seen on television. Teams move cars, spare parts, garages, hospitality equipment and technical personnel around the world. Any decision to race in a region affected by conflict must therefore consider the safety of drivers, team members, officials, broadcasters and spectators, as well as the logistical ability to move equipment.
The cancellation of Bahrain and Saudi Arabia earlier this year demonstrated that Formula 1 is willing to act when the circumstances become unacceptable. (Reuters)
The potential cancellation of Qatar and Abu Dhabi would reinforce that message.
A European Finale Makes Logistical Sense
If the Middle Eastern races disappear, Europe is the logical destination.
Domenicali did not officially name the replacement circuit, but Imola has emerged as a leading possibility. Other potential European alternatives have also been discussed, including Portimão in Portugal. (The Race)
The timing is crucial.
Qatar and Abu Dhabi are scheduled for late November and early December. At that point of the year, moving the championship to another part of the world could create significant weather and logistical complications.
Europe offers established circuits, experienced personnel and existing infrastructure. It also places the final race closer to many of the teams’ European bases.
Imola would be particularly attractive because it is already a Formula 1-standard circuit with a long history in the championship. However, December weather would present a serious challenge. Formula 1 traditionally races in Europe during the warmer months, so a winter race would be a very different proposition.
This means the replacement would not simply be about finding an available circuit. F1 would need to find a venue capable of hosting a major international event under potentially difficult weather conditions.
The Calendar Is Becoming a Strategic Puzzle
The situation also highlights how difficult it has become for Formula 1 to maintain a stable global calendar.
The championship wants to preserve a large number of races because every Grand Prix has commercial value. At the same time, the more races F1 adds, the more vulnerable the calendar becomes to external events such as wars, weather, transportation problems and political instability.
This year’s experience demonstrates that problem.
The cancellation of Bahrain and Saudi Arabia initially reduced the 2026 schedule. Malaysia was then brought into the calendar, providing a practical solution and restoring another race to the season. (Sky Sports)
If Qatar and Abu Dhabi are also lost, F1 will once again have to redesign the final portion of the season.
That requires considerable planning because the teams cannot simply arrive at a circuit and race. Freight movements, television production, hospitality operations, accommodation and personnel schedules all have to be organized months in advance.
The earlier F1 makes its decision, the easier it becomes to execute a replacement.
That explains the significance of Domenicali’s September deadline.
Why F1 Rejected a Second Las Vegas Race
One of the more interesting elements of the situation is that Formula 1 considered the possibility of holding a second race in Las Vegas.
On paper, that would appear to be an easy solution. Las Vegas is already an established F1 venue, and another event there could reduce the need to build an entirely new operation elsewhere.
But Domenicali rejected the idea.
His argument was partly commercial. Formula 1 views the Las Vegas Grand Prix as a valuable event that is still developing. Holding two races there could reduce the uniqueness and prestige of the existing Grand Prix.
There is also competition from the NFL, which dominates the American sports landscape during that period. Domenicali acknowledged that Formula 1 does not want to place its Las Vegas event in a position where it is competing unnecessarily for attention.
That decision demonstrates that F1’s calendar is not driven exclusively by logistics. Branding and commercial strategy are equally important.
The Conflict Could Affect 2027
The consequences may extend beyond the 2026 season.
Domenicali indicated that Formula 1 has contingency plans for 2027 if the situation in the Middle East remains unresolved. The sport intends to maintain a calendar covering 24 countries, but it is preparing alternative options.
That is a sensible approach.
A championship as large as Formula 1 cannot afford to assume that geopolitical problems will disappear simply because a new season begins. If uncertainty continues, F1 needs alternative venues ready before contracts, freight arrangements and broadcasting schedules become fixed.
The fact that contingency planning is already taking place shows how seriously Formula 1 is treating the issue.
It also illustrates a broader shift in the sport. F1 has expanded aggressively into new markets, including the Middle East, but that global expansion comes with increased exposure to international instability.
The Engine Debate Adds Another Challenge
Domenicali’s comments were not limited to the calendar. He also addressed criticism of Formula 1’s new 2026 engine regulations.
The new power units have introduced a greater electrical contribution, creating a different driving challenge. Some drivers have complained that energy management can influence how aggressively they attack certain corners.
Domenicali defended the regulations, arguing that fans are responding positively to the racing despite the technical complexity.
The issue is important because Formula 1 is already thinking about what comes next. The sport wants future engines to be simpler, lighter and powered by sustainable fuel while retaining electrification.
There is also an ongoing debate over whether the next generation should move toward V8 architecture.
Domenicali’s comments suggest that Formula 1 wants to avoid another major technical disagreement between teams, manufacturers, drivers and the FIA. A consensus will be necessary if the sport wants to introduce future regulations before the current engine cycle expires.
What a European Finale Would Mean
A European finale would be unusual, but it could also create an intriguing conclusion to the season.
Instead of ending under the floodlights in Abu Dhabi, Formula 1 could finish at a traditional European circuit in front of a different type of crowd and in very different conditions.
From a sporting perspective, that could be fascinating. A colder European venue could produce different tyre behavior, weather uncertainty and setup challenges.
But the bigger story would remain what caused the calendar change.
Formula 1 increasingly operates at the intersection of sport, entertainment, business and international politics. The potential loss of Qatar and Abu Dhabi is another reminder that even one of the world’s most carefully planned sporting championships cannot operate independently of events beyond the racetrack.
For now, F1 is keeping the races on the calendar and hoping conditions improve. But Domenicali’s message is clear: if the Middle East cannot safely host the championship’s final races, Formula 1 already has a different ending in mind.
And if that happens, the 2026 season could become remembered not only for what happened on the track, but also for how dramatically events outside it reshaped the championship.

Comments
Post a Comment