LIV Golf Secures Investor Backing Through 2030 as DeChambeau and Rahm Futures Remain Uncertain
Image:Ai generatedLIV Golf has secured a new “lead investor” expected to provide financial backing for the Saudi-backed series through 2030, but uncertainty remains over whether some of its biggest stars will stay beyond the 2026 season.
LIV Golf chief executive Scott O’Neil revealed the development on Wednesday as he outlined plans for what he described as the tour’s “next generation.” However, O’Neil declined to identify the new investor or disclose the financial details of the agreement.
“We’re very fortunate that a lead investor has signed a term sheet approved by our board, which will carry and fund LIV going forward,” O’Neil said.
He added that the organization was keeping the identity of the investor and other details private while the next phase of the business develops.
The announcement comes after the withdrawal of financial backing from Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund, which had been central to LIV Golf’s expansion since the series was launched in 2021.
O’Neil indicated that the new agreement is intended to provide stability well beyond the 2027 season. When asked whether the arrangement would protect LIV’s 2027 campaign, he responded: “And 28 and 29 and 30.”
The executive also described the incoming investor as someone “of weight,” suggesting LIV believes it has secured substantial financial support for its future.
However, the restructuring could dramatically change the way LIV Golf operates. The current series features 14 events, with $30 million in prize money available at each tournament across individual and team competitions. Under the reported plans for 2027, LIV could move toward a smaller schedule of around 10 tournaments, with approximately $10 million available at each event.
Another major proposed change involves ownership. Players are expected to receive the majority of equity in the business, potentially giving LIV golfers a greater financial stake in the future of the organization.
The changes could also have major consequences for LIV’s relationship with the wider professional golf landscape. Since its creation, LIV has attracted several leading PGA Tour players with lucrative contracts, but the new financial environment could encourage some players to reconsider their futures.
Among the biggest names whose decisions are being closely watched are Bryson DeChambeau and Jon Rahm.
O’Neil praised both players and made clear that LIV wants them to remain part of its plans.
“I have all the time in the world for Jon Rahm and Bryson DeChambeau,” O’Neil said. He described them as “two of the biggest, best golfers on the planet” and said they were among “the biggest stars in sports.”
O’Neil added: “I would certainly love them to come along for the ride and journey because they carry maybe more weight than anybody in the game.”
He remained confident that LIV would continue to attract major talent, saying: “I think we have enough support from enough players, and we have such an interesting format and global format, I think we’ll do quite well in getting the right stars for this game.”
DeChambeau’s future is particularly intriguing, with questions surrounding his relationship with the PGA Tour and his interest in expanding his presence in YouTube golf.
Other prominent LIV players, including Cameron Smith, Tyrrell Hatton and Dustin Johnson, could also face important decisions about where they want to compete in the coming years.
LIV expects greater clarity by the end of August, when further details about the investment agreement and the players expected to compete for the tour in 2027 could emerge.
For now, the new financial backing gives LIV Golf a path toward survival through 2030. Whether it can retain the stars who helped establish its identity, however, remains one of the biggest questions facing the controversial series.
Analysis: LIV Golf’s New Investment Offers Survival, but the Biggest Test May Be Its Stars
LIV Golf’s agreement with a new “lead investor” is a significant turning point for the breakaway golf league. After months of uncertainty surrounding the withdrawal of Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF), the announcement gives LIV something it urgently needed: a financial path beyond the 2026 season. CEO Scott O’Neil said the investor’s board-approved term sheet would fund LIV through 2030, although the identity and financial details of the investor have not been publicly disclosed.
The importance of the announcement goes beyond simply keeping tournaments on the calendar. LIV was heavily dependent on PIF financing after launching in 2021, with the Guardian previously reporting that more than $5 billion had been invested in the project. When PIF indicated that its support would end after 2026, LIV faced questions about whether its expensive tournament model could survive without Saudi backing.
The proposed restructuring suggests that LIV is preparing for a more commercially focused future. Its current format consists of 14 tournaments with $30 million prize funds per event. The reported 2027 model would reduce that to around 10 core tournaments, with approximately $10 million available at each event. Players are also expected to receive the majority of equity in the business, potentially giving them a direct financial interest in the league’s long-term success.
That change could be crucial. LIV originally used enormous financial incentives to attract some of the biggest names from the PGA Tour. But if the league is moving toward lower prize funds and a smaller schedule, its ability to retain those stars may become more important than ever.
Bryson DeChambeau and Jon Rahm sit at the centre of that question. O’Neil made it clear that LIV wants both players to remain, praising them as “two of the biggest, best golfers on the planet.” His comments underline their importance not only as competitors but also as recognizable personalities capable of attracting fans and attention to LIV.
Yet the situation is not necessarily as bleak for LIV as it appeared earlier in the year. Rahm has since secured his third consecutive LIV individual championship, demonstrating that he remains one of the league’s dominant performers. Reuters reported that Rahm clinched the 2026 title despite finishing tied 41st at LIV Golf New York, while DeChambeau entered the final stages of the season as his closest challenger.
The bigger challenge, therefore, is whether LIV can transform financial survival into long-term stability. The new investor gives the league time, but retaining elite players, attracting audiences and creating a sustainable commercial model will determine whether LIV becomes a permanent part of professional golf.
For now, the message is clear: LIV Golf has avoided an immediate financial crisis, but its next chapter will depend heavily on whether its biggest stars believe the new version of the league is worth staying for.
Sources
[The Guardian — LIV Golf secures ‘lead investor’ until 2030

Comments
Post a Comment