Skip to main content

PGA Tour expands Championship Series as Tiger Woods’ career money record comes under threat

 PGA Tour expands Championship Series as Tiger Woods’ career money record comes under threat



The PGA Tour is beginning to shape its lucrative Championship Series for 2028, with new tournaments and major sponsorship agreements highlighting a significant expansion of the tour’s top tier.


Sompo, a Japan-based multinational insurance and financial services group, will become the title sponsor of one of the premier events on the PGA Tour’s 2028 schedule. The tournament will feature a $20 million purse and is expected to attract many of the tour’s leading players.


The partnership will begin in 2027 at Silverado Resort in Napa, California, where Scottie Scheffler won the final edition of the fall tournament in 2025. The event is scheduled for July 29 to Aug. 1, two weeks after the British Open, and will be televised by CBS over the weekend.


The tournament’s name and its new market for 2028 and beyond have yet to be announced. The PGA Tour is considering major markets where it does not currently have a regular presence, including Denver, Philadelphia, Seattle, San Francisco and New York.


James Shea, CEO of Bermuda-based Sompo Property & Casualty, described the agreement as a significant step for the company.


“This is a major opportunity for Sompo to further expand our global brand awareness and showcase the strength of our business to customers, partners and communities around the world,” Shea said.


The Travelers Championship, held outside Hartford, Connecticut, was also confirmed as part of the Championship Series. The move was widely anticipated because of the tournament’s strong record during the FedEx Cup era. The Travelers has offered $20 million purses since 2023.


“This has been an extremely successful tournament by every metric,” PGA Tour CEO Brian Rolapp said. “I think they do a lot of things that we’re looking for in a Championship Series event.”


Woods’ career money record is under threat


Tiger Woods’ long-standing position at the top of the PGA Tour’s career money list is increasingly vulnerable.


Woods moved into first place after finishing runner-up at Torrey Pines on Feb. 13, 2000, and has remained No. 1 ever since. His career earnings reached $120,999,166 after receiving $44,400 for his final-place finish at the 2024 Masters.


Rory McIlroy is currently second with $116,446,772, while Scheffler has climbed to $116,364,411 following his runner-up finish at the 3M Open.


Both players are therefore slightly more than $4 million behind Woods heading into the lucrative FedEx Cup postseason. The playoffs include two events with $20 million purses, while the Tour Championship carries a $40 million bonus pool that now counts as official PGA Tour money.


That means Woods’ record, which once appeared almost untouchable, could soon belong to either McIlroy or Scheffler.


Plunkett continues remarkable journey


Former U.S. Army captain Marcus Plunkett is also expanding his professional golf career after qualifying for his first major championship at the British Open and making the cut.


Plunkett then traveled from Royal Birkdale to Georgia to compete in a qualifying tournament for the PGA Tour of Australasia. After purchasing a push cart at a sporting goods store, he tied for second at Kinderlou Forest Golf Club near Valdosta to secure his card for the 2026-27 season.


“I was definitely a little delirious round one, but as the week’s gone on, started to feel a little bit back to normal,” Plunkett said.


Plunkett, who spent five years in the Army after graduating from West Point, already holds Asian Tour status and has previously had a Korn Ferry Tour card.


“I have Asian Tour status so I’m trying to figure out the balance of the two moving forward,” he said. “But I’m really excited to get out to Australia and get on the links out there.”


Scheffler searching for another major breakthrough


Despite remaining the world’s No. 1 player, Scheffler has endured an unusual 2026 season by his standards.


He recorded the lowest combined score to par in this year’s four majors at 21 under, but failed to win any of them. He finished runner-up at the Masters, tied for fourth at both the U.S. Open and British Open, and tied for 14th at the PGA Championship.


Scheffler has also recorded five runner-up finishes on the PGA Tour this season but only one victory.


“One of the things that I’ve always kind of prided myself on is the consistency,” Scheffler said. “That’s something that shows that I’m playing some pretty good golf. It just hasn’t been quite good enough to win some tournaments.”


“I still feel like my game’s in a good spot and I’ve played some nice golf,” he added. “I haven’t played any great golf yet, but I’ve played some nice golf over the course of the season.”


Sub-60 rounds continue to become more common


The 2026 season also produced a notable development in scoring. Scott Stevens on the PGA Tour Americas and Michael Kim on the PGA Tour joined the growing list of players who have shot 59 or better.


It took until July 23 for the first sub-60 round of 2026, but golf has seen such scores become increasingly common. Al Geiberger recorded the first recognized 59 in the 1977 Memphis Classic.


Since then, there have been 69 sub-60 rounds across 21 recognized tours worldwide, including eight in 2025 and nine in 2024.


However, shooting 59 has not guaranteed victory. The last six players to shoot 59 on the PGA Tour all failed to win their respective tournaments.


As the PGA Tour reshapes its schedule around the Championship and Challenger series, the next few seasons could bring major changes both on the course and to the sport’s financial landscape — including the possibility that Woods will finally lose his place atop the career money list.





Analysis: PGA Tour’s new era could reshape golf’s competitive and financial landscape


The PGA Tour’s move toward a two-tier Championship and Challenger Series represents one of the most significant structural changes in professional golf in years. The plan is not simply about rearranging tournaments; it is an attempt to concentrate the sport’s biggest stars, largest purses and most commercially attractive events into a clearer premium product. The Travelers Championship’s confirmation as a Championship Series event and the addition of Sompo as a major sponsor demonstrate how aggressively the tour is pursuing that strategy. 


The financial motivation is obvious. Championship Series tournaments are expected to feature $20 million purses, creating a powerful incentive for elite players to compete. With the series expected to contain up to 24 events, including the four majors and The Players Championship, the PGA Tour is attempting to create a schedule where the best players are regularly competing against one another in high-value tournaments. 


The biggest question is whether concentrating the strongest fields will make the PGA Tour more compelling to fans while maintaining the importance of its traditional tournaments. Recent developments suggest that not every established event will benefit equally. The FedEx St. Jude Championship, for example, was excluded from the elite 2028 Championship Series lineup, demonstrating that the restructuring will create winners and losers. 


That makes the search for new markets particularly important. The PGA Tour has indicated interest in cities such as New York, Philadelphia, Seattle, Denver and San Francisco. Expanding into major markets could give the tour access to new audiences, corporate partners and sponsorship opportunities. However, establishing a tournament successfully in a new market requires more than a large purse. Attendance, television interest, local corporate support and long-term fan engagement will determine whether these events become sustainable.


The other major storyline is Tiger Woods’ career money record. Woods remains No. 1 on the PGA Tour career money list with $120,999,166, while Rory McIlroy and Scottie Scheffler are within roughly $5 million of the mark. 


This is particularly significant because the current financial environment is dramatically different from the one in which Woods accumulated his earnings. McIlroy and Scheffler are competing in an era of enormous purses, meaning Woods’ record is increasingly vulnerable even without either player needing to match his extraordinary longevity.


Scheffler’s position is especially intriguing. Despite being the world’s leading player, his 2026 season has included several runner-up finishes rather than a long list of victories. Yet consistent high finishes are precisely what can accelerate a player up the money list. The upcoming postseason therefore has implications beyond the FedEx Cup itself: every deep run could bring Scheffler closer to one of Woods’ most enduring statistical records.


McIlroy presents an equally serious threat. His combination of longevity, major-championship success and continued participation in lucrative PGA Tour events makes him a natural candidate to become the first player to overtake Woods.


Ultimately, the PGA Tour’s restructuring and the money-list race are connected. Bigger purses create greater financial rewards, while the concentration of elite players creates more opportunities for stars such as McIlroy and Scheffler to accumulate earnings rapidly. The next era of the PGA Tour could therefore produce not only a new competitive structure but also the end of one of Tiger Woods’ longest-standing records.


The real test for the PGA Tour will be whether its new model can deliver both greater commercial value and meaningful competition without weakening the tournaments and markets that helped build professional golf in the first place.


Source: PGA Tour 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rory McIlroy and 2 Other Players Withdraw from 2026 Travelers Championship | PGA Tour

Rory McIlroy and 2 Other Players Withdraw from 2026 Travelers Championship | PGA Tour By Alex Christian | MBCF News — June 29, 2026       The 2026 Travelers Championship is set to showcase one of the strongest fields on the PGA Tour this season, with 49 of the world's top 50 golfers confirmed to compete at TPC River Highlands in Connecticut. As the final Signature Event before the FedExCup Playoffs draw closer, fans can expect another highly competitive week featuring many of the game's biggest stars. However, despite the impressive lineup, three familiar names will not be making the trip. Rory McIlroy, Billy Horschel and Max Homa are all absent from this year's Travelers Championship, although each player's situation is very different. McIlroy has chosen to skip the tournament as part of his schedule management, while Horschel and Homa failed to qualify after difficult seasons that have affected their rankings and standing on the PGA Tour. McIlroy's decision ha...

Charlie Woods Eliminated in U.S. Junior Amateur Playoff, Misses Match Play

Charlie Woods Eliminated in U.S. Junior Amateur Playoff, Misses Match Play By Alex Christian|MBCF News _July 23, 2026 BETHLEHEM, Pa. — Charlie Woods' run at the 2026 U.S. Junior Amateur Championship ended Wednesday after the 17-year-old was eliminated in a playoff at Saucon Valley Country Club, falling just short of the tournament's 64-player match-play field. Woods made a bogey on the first playoff hole after finishing stroke-play qualifying tied for one of the final spots. He entered a 14-player playoff for the last two match-play berths, but Eli Wessel of Indianapolis and Hudson Kutchma of Westfield, Indiana claimed the qualifying positions. The son of Tiger Woods had earned his place in the championship by winning a qualifying playoff in Heathrow, Florida, and attracted large crowds throughout the week as fans followed his attempt to compete for the Tiger Woods Trophy. Two Pennsylvania golfers advanced to match play, with Chase Yenser qualifying as the No. 30 seed a...

FIA Admits Error in Piastri-Leclerc Incident and Announces Penalty Rule Change

  FIA Admits Error in Piastri-Leclerc Incident and Announces Penalty Rule Change By Alex Christian| MBCF News_July 25, 2026 The FIA has agreed to change how penalties are applied after admitting McLaren driver Oscar Piastri was unfairly treated during his clash with Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc at the Belgian Grand Prix. On his way to a fifth-place finish, Piastri was attacking Leclerc for a podium position at Les Combes when the pair made contact. Piastri sustained floor damage to his car. Leclerc was investigated but received no penalty. Following a meeting between drivers and FIA stewards, it was agreed that similar incidents in the future will be penalized. The new consensus is that squeezing a rival on corner entry will result in a five-second penalty. The FIA also agreed to show more leniency for incidents that occur immediately after safety car restarts. Quotes: Oscar Piastri, over team radio:   “He didn’t leave enough space. That could have been a massive crash,” ...